My husband AND one of my daughters has ADHD. It makes for interesting days in our household. I love both of them very much and admire their amazing brains. It can be infuriating, frustrating and heartbreaking to watch them struggle. Most of the time though, you might as well laugh. . .
- When I send her to her room to get something and 20 minutes later I find her looking at something else as if she is studying it intently.
- Neither one can spell the simplest words but you can ask them a science fact while they are spinning in an office chair and the answer is correct!
- In just a few minutes they will ask you a million questions about totally different topics and you barely start to answer before they are halfway through asking another question.
- They think they are comedians.
- You find their dirty socks EVERYWHERE except the hamper.
- They eat super fast but are very slow to clear their dishes.
- They hate cleaning. They think of other things they could do.
- Their lives will be forever a never ending stream of shenanigans. They will say things that can hurt people or make them uneasy. While they are a source of stress they are also a source of entertainment. I hope they will write a book together!
- They forget to brush their teeth sometimes.
- The floor is a shelf and/or a trash bin.
- They are indignant even though it may be hypocritical.
- They love with all their hearts and will defend you to the death.
Remember while you are laughing that ADHD is a legitimate brain disorder it is not a lack of willpower. If you are a teacher please stop telling your student with ADHD if they just try hard enough or care enough they will get it. They are actually trying their best. If you love someone with ADHD remember that they will be the most loving and yet frustrating person you have ever been with. If you have ADHD don’t give up. Some of us love you and will love you for the rest of your lives. Exercise, eat healthy, sleep well and keep doing your best!